HEADLINESCelebrate SoCal Aerospace Days at your Local Library with One Story One City Programming
Posted on: 03/19/2017 00:00
March 20 through March 26 is the inaugural “Southern California Aerospace Days” in Los Angeles County. The Santa Clarita Public Library would like to invite residents to celebrate aerospace with free programs running through the end of March as part of their “One Story One City” program. “One Story One City” encourages citywide discussions and promotes reading across all ages through one story. This year’s book selection is Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars, by Nathalia Holt.
Rise of the Rocket Girls is nonfiction, focusing on the women “computers” who handled complicated math problems at Pasadena’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Their work contributed to the success of the country’s infant space program.
During Southern California Aerospace Days, residents are invited to attend the following free City events:
· Monday, March 20 from 3:30-5:30 p.m. – “Ultimate Maker Challenge” at the Creation Station in the Valencia Library located at 23743 Valencia Boulevard. Maker challenges are designed to test your creativity. Draw on your skills this month to complete a rocketry challenge.
· Monday, March 20 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. – “Elementary Reading Club” at the Canyon Country Library located at 18601 Soledad Canyon Road. Discuss your favorite books, and then participate in a space-themed play! Lots of interactive fun.
· Monday, March 20 at 7:00 p.m. – “The Oscar in Space” movie series showing “Gravity” at The MAIN located at 24266 Main Street. Starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, “Gravity” tells the story of two astronauts working together to survive after an accident leaves them isolated in space.
· Wednesday, March 22 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. – “The Wednesday Club” at the Valencia Library located at 23743 Valencia Boulevard. Try your hand at a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) project, such as making easy Tumble Wings that can fly.
· Friday, March 24 at 2:00 p.m. – “Build a Rocket LEGO Block Party” at the Newhall Library located at 24500 Main Street. Families are invited to create a rocket using LEGO blocks.
For a full list of “One Story One City” programs including book discussions and events geared toward children, teens or families, please visit SantaClaritaLibrary.com/OneStoryOneCity.
The Southern California Aerospace Council (SCAC) recently launched the inaugural “Southern California Aerospace Days” to highlight the Aerospace and Defense industry’s vital economic impact on our regional economy. More information can be found at laedc.org/event/socal-aerospace-days/.
“One Story One City” is made possible by the support and partnership of the Friends of Santa Clarita Public Library, Valencia Barnes & Noble, the City of Santa Clarita, and California Humanities. California Humanities is an independent non-profit state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities. For more information on California Humanities, please visit www.calhum.org.
More information regarding the “One Story One City” program can be found online at SantaClaritaLibrary.com/OneStoryOneCity.
Search the Web
POEM OF THE WEEK
LOVE and FRIENDSHIP
by Emily Bronte
Love is like the wild rose-briar,
Friendship like the holly-tree—
The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms
But which will bloom most constantly?
The wild-rose briar is sweet in the spring,
Its summer blossoms scent the air;
Yet wait till winter comes again
And who will call the wild-briar fair?
Then scorn the silly rose-wreath now
And deck thee with the holly's sheen,
That when December blights thy brow
He may still leave thy garland green.